REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)
EXECUTIVE SEARCH FIRM
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:00 am. Proposals will be accepted in electronic format only.
SUBMISSION CONTACT AND ADDRESS:
Alexa Barton, City Manager, City of Belton, Missouri
506 Main Street, Belton Missouri 64012
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Belton, Missouri hereby notifies all bidders that it will affirmatively ensure that any contract entered into pursuant to this advertisement, disadvantaged business enterprises will be afforded full opportunity to submit bids in response to this invitation, and they will not be discriminated against on the grounds of race, color, national origin or sex, in consideration for an award.
The City of Belton is seeking qualifications from qualified executive search firms to assist the City of Belton, Missouri City Manager in the recruitment and hiring of a Police Chief.
The City of Belton, Missouri has a population of 23,116 (as of the 2010 Census data), and an estimated 2018 population of 23,598. Belton is in the southland of the Kansas City, Missouri region. Belton is the largest city in Cass County.
The City is a charter city and utilizes the Mayor/Council/Manager form of government. Registered voters elect a mayor and eight council members to serve four- and three-year terms respectively. The Mayor is a voting member of the City Council making up a nine-member elected City Council which functions as the legislative and policy making body. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and serves as the chief executive officer of the city and is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the City.
Belton is a full-service municipality providing the following services: administration; finance: accounting, payroll, utility billing; water, wastewater and trash; fire and EMS; information technologies; parks and recreation; planning & building; code enforcement, housing/building inspection; police: animal control, dispatch, emergency management, jail services; public works: engineering, inspection, transportation, storm water, and utilities: water and wastewater; and municipal court.
The City has approximately 200 regular employees, and an additional 100 part-time non-regular employees, for an approximate total of 300 employees.
The City of Belton became a charter city in 2008 with an elected Police Chief. In 2018 voters changed this position from elected to appointed, answering to the City Manager. This change becomes effective at the end of the current elected police chief term, April 1, 2021.
The current elected police chief has been with the City for over thirty (30) years. He started as an employee, police officer, of the City before running for the elected position of Police Chief, which he has held for 20 years.
The City of Belton is seeking a firm to perform the full range of services related to the recruitment process including but not limited to:
- Development of recruitment strategy and content – Work with the City Manager to develop the qualifications, skills, and experiences of the ideal Police Chief candidate. Develop job announcement, position profile, and related material for approval by the City Manager. This should include a scenario of utilizing a Hiring Committee, similar to the process followed by the Missouri Police Chiefs Association.
- Develop a suggested “preferred candidate” profile based on community needs and culture, as well as workplace needs and culture, which should be part of the job announcement.
- Candidate search – publicize job announcement in various employment websites and distribute to targeted candidates; oversee nationwide search for qualified candidates.
- Identify and submit candidates for consideration – Summarize the qualifications of top candidates for the Hiring Committee’s review. Provide an explanation as to why they were ranked in that order.
- Interview process – Coordinate, in conjunction with the City Manager/Hiring Committee, multiple rounds of interviews with candidates. Utilizing Zoom technology for initial interview(s) is allowed/preferred. Prepare evaluation criteria and coordinate with hiring panels. Collect writing samples and other candidate materials as deemed appropriate.
- Coordinate a thorough background employment search, beyond references, and credit check for preferred candidate. This should include, but should not be limited to:
- Reference Check
- Credit Check
- Criminal History Check
- Interview, if applicable, at least three supervisors or council members; at least three colleagues; and at least three subordinates from previous communities.
- Complete check of social media for any pertinent information
- Assist with contract negotiation and make recommendations regarding the terms of employment.
The City Manager desires to retain a qualified search firm by July 5, 2020 and to identify a final candidate for hire by December 1, 2020.
The firm should submit by email the following information:
- letter of interest containing general information on the firm;
- firm’s brochure;
- resume for key personnel;
- information regarding the consultant’s experience conducting similar executive searches;
- a description of the recruitment process;
- references; and
- detailed proposed cost.
Please direct submissions to Alexa Barton, City Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 10:00 am on Friday, June 12, 2020.
The City intends to “short-list” firms responding to this RFQ and may interview one or more firms to better assess their qualifications. The City will negotiate a scope of services and a fee proposal with the selected firm. The City will evaluate and select the firm based on qualifications, experience and performance with similar projects, references, ability to provide timely services, awareness of project issues, opportunities and constraints, and detailed estimated fees and expenses. The selected firm must be able to meet all municipal, state and federal affirmative action and equal employment opportunity practices and guidelines.
The City does not expressly state or imply any obligation to reimburse responding firms for any expenses incurred in preparing submissions in response to this request. The City reserves the right to reject any or all submissions, to select a firm in a manner that is advantageous to the city and to waive all formalities in the bidding.
Please address any questions related to this RFQ to Alexa Barton, City Manager at email@example.com.