Click here to watch the video about Question 4: Use Tax for Pathway, Pavements, Pets & Parks
How will the funds be spent?
- Widen I-49 to six lanes from 155th Street to North Cass Parkway (regional partnership with Cass County, Raymore and Grandview)
- Trail improvements
- Sidewalk grant program
- Dog park improvements
- Splash pad & park improvements
- Ongoing street/stormwater projects & maintain city services
City Council approved the creation of an Oversight Committee to ensure funds are spent as promised. (Resolution 2022-04(PDF, 83KB))
Explanatory Statement: Use Tax is collected instead of sales tax when a resident obtains retail goods from an out-of-state vendor in a taxable transaction not subject to sales taxes. The State of Missouri and Cass County already collect Use Taxes on these purchases. Currently, the City receives no Use Tax revenue. If the voters approve a Belton Use Tax, purchases from out of state businesses delivered to a Belton address will be taxed the same as an item purchased in a Belton store. At no time are a Use Tax and sales tax collected on the same transaction, it is one or the other, never both. A purchase will never be taxed twice.
Shall the City of Belton, Missouri, impose a local City use tax at the same rate as the total local City sales tax rate (currently three and one-quarter percent (3.25%)) provided that if the local sales tax rate is reduced or raised by voter approval, the local use tax rate shall be reduced or raised by the same action?
What is a local use tax?
- A use tax levels the playing field for Belton businesses (both online & in-store).
- A local use tax applies to the purchase of goods from out-of-state businesses delivered to a Belton address.
- The State of Missouri mandates a local use tax be the same rate as the city’s sales tax, currently 3.25%.
- A purchase will never be subject to both a use tax and a sales tax.
How is a use tax different from sales tax?
- While local sales tax is collected from brick-and-mortar retail stores, a use tax will be collected on purchases made from out-of-state businesses that ship to Belton customers.
- Currently, the city does not collect local sales tax on out-of-state and online purchases.
A purchase is only taxed once, either with a sales tax or a use tax - never both.
FAQs: Use Tax(PDF, 744KB)