Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED and three years of experience in general construction, contracting, planning, project design or materials procurement that includes leadwork, supervisory or foreman experience over assigned projects; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
- Possession of a valid State of Missouri or Kansas Driver’s License.
- Completion of ICC Building Inspector Certification or the ability to obtain full certification within one (1) year of appointment.
Required Knowledge of:
- Construction permitting processes; industry standard building construction practices, methods and materials.
- Principles and techniques of review and evaluation of construction plans and related technical data for compliance with codes and standards.
- City/departmental standards for the creation and maintenance of records, including automated records and databases.
- Procedural and legal processes involved in the resolution of code violations.
- Federal, state, and local laws applicable to building and zoning codes.
- Effective communication principles and practices to include public relations.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers, computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Principles of business letter writing.
Required Skill in:
- Utilizing personal computer software programs and other relevant software affecting assigned work and in compiling and preparing spreadsheets.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public.
- Interpreting and applying building codes, laws, ordinances, statutes and construction industry standards.
- Analyzing construction plans, specifications and associates technical data for compliance with codes and standards.
- Detecting and documenting defects and deviations from permitted construction activities and codes and standard.
- Preparing and maintaining files and records for code violations in both manual and computer-based systems.
- Scheduling worksite inspections and technical plans reviews in response to code violations or allegations.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing sufficient to explain the codes enforcement processes and requirements to interested and affected parties. Conducting code interpretation, building inspections, and code enforcement.
- Maintaining confidentiality and communicating with tact and diplomacy.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Work is performed in a standard office environment; routinely travels to various inspection sites and occasionally may be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, and potential physical harm when conducting on-site inspections.
Interested applicants should submit an City application, resume and cover letter to Madison Smith, email@example.com or by mail to 520 Main Street, Belton, MO 64012.
Upon selection, a background check and physical/drug test are required.
The City of Belton, Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (EOE)