Purpose and Goals
To provide services to crime victims and their families. To assist them with the problems resulting from victimization.
After a crime occurs, it is common for the victim to feel traumatized and frightened. Often people are uncertain how to restore their lives and wonder if their feelings and concerns are "normal".
This unit can help by offering emotional support, short-term counseling and referral to the proper service agencies.
Other goals include.
- Allowing the patrol officer and investigators more time for investigation of those crimes
- Enhance relationship between the victim and police
- Increase the awareness of potential victims concerning sexual assault Provide referrals for the victim's follow-up needs
- Have an advocate present during the immediate crisis
- Make the community aware of law enforcement's concern for victims
- To help coordinate existing community resources
- To help establish a liaison atmosphere between victims, investigating officers, and the rest of the criminal Justice system