The following tips help conserve water inside the home:
- Add food coloring to your toilet's water tank. If the color appears in the bowl without flushing, there is a leak. Replace the defective parts.
- An average bathtub holds 50 gallons of water. Conserve water by only partially filling the tub.
- Don't run water while brushing your teeth. Fill a glass for rinsing.
- Install water-saving shower heads. Turn the water off while soaping or shampooing.
- Keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator and use ice instead of running the tap until the water is cold.
- Repair leaks and install low-flow aerators in faucets.
- Use a partially filled sink or short blast of water to rinse your razor.
- When replacing appliances, look for machines that use less water and are more energy-efficient.
- Wrap hot water pipes with insulation to avoid waiting for hot water.